Wednesday 10 February 2016

PART FIVE: DISSERENASCIT CHAPTER LI: RAIN OVER THE FURROWS


   How to follow the thread of a story when so far Nike was telling me? Now I must continue with my own forces, but first it is necessary to know what forces I have, if any. So far I have been telling what he has been narrating to me in the bonfires. If now I must continue alone, I’d better imagine that he is still telling me what follows, or Lucy, or Luke or any of them. At least I won't give up without trying.


   The first one has been Nike, but all of them have asked me to write them, because for a change they want to read a story of beggars without being a succession of tragic facts. I appreciate their confidence in me, but I find myself with little preparation to put three coherent words together.

   So how to strip thoughts so as to season dialogues? My teacher in the bonfires used to do it, but now I no longer follow his voice, and when the others join me, I will have to see if I am able to respect them. I will have to continue interspersing descriptions, symbols and some stars. But can I be true to their personality, each one’s personality? Will I make a mistake trying to shape the future or reflections of their friends? It is the despair of a writer; a punishment, if it is, to your own confidence. You look inside yourself and you see that the task should be done, for they deserve a portrait, but you fear that it is not well carried out and you should soon find a charitable soul, better trained, who can follow them hand in hand. With some guidance I count, and if I do not droop, I will finish telling these years.

   And what kind of reader should I expect? He may have too many expectations and find the story too incredible: two men that give up everything because of a dream of freedom, friendship and love; a snake that hasn't been heard of before and which is not seen again; an unlikely family whose reality I am sure of. Achab didn’t give his life either to kill a whale. But wouldn't it be better to leave everything here and just tell what Nike taught me? And how to do them justice and make it credible about four ones who were forced, one who took his freedom from nothingness, a man of undoubted beauty who was six months in violence to get away from it later and become a giant, two millionaires who renounced their fortunes because of a dream of well-being? They say that money does not make happiness, but they also say otherwise. Yes, but no one believes it. Can I find the exact words to describe what they feel? I have to try it, because I am not going to tell just a series of events in chronological order. Although I know I can spend some years in this pleasant task, I must allow their souls to once be perceived.

   And at this point who will the reader think I am or how he will be finding me? May I be tiring him or have I managed him to love them and he wants to know more? The eight are my only readers and if I never have any more readers, with them it is enough for me. And they ask me to strip their hearts and souls as much as necessary, for they can recognize themselves in what they are reading. And therefore I will follow, because their encouragement asks me to continue with the effort as long as I have some ink. I will do as I am able.

   Already Saturday, 26 February, Nike returned to Deanforest so the Protch could know Lucy and Luke. One other day he would bring his children, whom they had explained that Maude and Herbert were also their grandparents, those of Dad Nike. And they'll come with Olivia. And on Monday would come the rest of his fellow mates.

   They welcomed his two partners in the general chronological order. First to speak was Maude.

− "Welcome, Lucy, to the home of your new friends - and she kissed her-. We will now show you the palace. You are very beautiful. No doubt your children will look like you."

− "Welcome, Luke – another kiss-. We wanted to meet you and offer you this house."

− "Thank you, Maude. We have more than enough with the palace."

− "You can call me Maudie."

− "Lucy and I have thought of leaving the vocative for Nike, and if you agree, for our children, who also will be your grandchildren."

− "And for me?" - asked Herbert Protch greeting Lucy.

− "If you have nothing against it, and since Nike already does, the five of us will call you Herbert."

   He nodded and ended greetings saying hello to Luke.

− "I really wanted to meet you. Be welcome to Deanforest."

   After the greetings, they were led to the dining room, adjacent to the palace, where they asked them to sit; they would bring them coffee, if they didn't want to have any other thing. Lucy replied that it was a long time since they had only drunk coffee and the Protch understood and made no comments. They didn't have to wait long. Soon the five of them were comfortably sitting together.

   It was obvious that the Protch had something to ask and did not dare to speak. Nike encouraged them to talk and Maude took courage.

− "Here you have keys of the palace — she started as an excuse to talk about what really interested her-. But if you go through the front door of Deanforest, you will not have to use them. Moreover, on Monday we want to give it the name of the owner. We want to know exactly whose owner and what lawyer Nike recommends us.

-"My lawyer is Gerald Rivers. I don't know if you trust him, but your cousin Richard now does. If not, I would have to mention someone else but I could not give you an opinion. Gerald is honest and he has always been good with his niece and her husbands."

   Maude and Herbert agreed. Nike had something more to say.

− "Only because of my children I have accepted using a part of my old home. I will never want to own it again. No, not even to own the palace. And Luke wants nothing he has not earned with his effort. In these cases, we entrust everything to Lucy. Put it on her behalf. But remember that for legal purposes her name is Lucy Prancitt".

   They went on talking for a quarter of an hour and Lucy and Luke commented something about their life, smiling, and saying that they knew that Nike could not have spoken evil of them.

   After that time Maude and Herbert showed them the palace. Nike had told them what they were going to find. A small home which shared the style of the entire house, luxurious and comfortable, which the decorators took care of and he had nothing to say. Ten rooms, five looking east, of which they chose the southernmost, with elegant Queen Anne chairs and full of tapestries and lamps, as the entire house, protected by overdone angels who seemed to look stunned at that luxury for three beggars. The next day it was Nike’s turn to sleep with Lucy and he proposed them to choose whether he should sleep there or leave Luke caring for their children. They chose the second option. They said goodbye to the Protch assuring them that the following day they would know their grandchildren.

   And they knocked on the door the morning of February 27. Maudie opened it and was glad to see that picture, almost the whole family, the three parents, the grandmother and both children.

− "Olivia, I guess." – She greeted her giving her a big hug.

− "Maude, it is a pleasure to meet you. I have hardly seen you and I have the feeling we will get along well."

− "Herbert is dealing with the kitchen. He will soon come out. But first I must kiss these beautiful children. - Kirsten was then half asleep, but she had enough lucidity to kiss her and call her Grandma Maudie

   After greeting her equally loving, Paul escaped from his mother's arms and ran to the statue of Jupiter.

− "He does not resemble Dad Luke. – He said. It was obvious that they had already told him about the god. He then began to run around the mahogany lounge. Feeling a few steps, Herbert realized whose steps they were and he came out of the kitchen.

− "Grandfather Herbert?" – He then asked.

   His grandfather took him then in his arms, avoiding he continued running more around the house; he had good legs, and kissed him.

− "I am – he smiled to him- and you are Paul, isn't it?"

   But instead of answering, he asked another question.

− "Have you got any candies?"

− "Not today, Paul. Today we will have a glass of milk with some cakes or the sweets you prefer. Now we will go to the palace. You also have to know it. But first I have to say hello to your sister."

   Kirsten was now awake. She had gone from her grandmother Olivia’s arms to those of her now grandmother Maudie. Herbert and she greeted in the so-called language of the girl. He seemed to be qualified in that language and they soon loved each other.

− "She resembles you, Olivia and also Lucy. And maybe it is because of how much they have desired but I see in Kirsten Luke’s features and in Paul those of Nike."

− "Surely, Herbert – answered Olivia-. If the universe has rectified many times for the whole family, She must also have done for them too. And when I look at them, Kirsten reminds me of Luke and Paul of Nike. Maybe love and education are making the miracle possible. They also evoke me my sister. I'm now remembering her when she was that age and I had almost the same height. But you may think that I am going mad".

   Herbert Protch was quick to assure her that he knew all of them were clever and lucid. They went to the dining room of the palace and they sat waiting for Herbert and Maude to bring the coffee and the glasses of milk. Meanwhile they invited Paul and Kirsten to discover everything there was in the pantry. They found candies of all kinds. He preferred chocolate; she preferred cream. They chose two each of them by advice from their parents, or they would have chosen more. Nike told them that the rest were for the three grandparents, for mom, father Luke and father Nike and they were talking about this when the Protch came.

− "Maudie - spoke Nike-, I think I brought some of my old toys from Siddeley Priory."

− "Yes, Nike. You put them in the stairwell. Years ago we found them. We have dusted off some old stuffed toy and as you told us Kirsten - she said looking at her – is so fond of ducks, we've got several in the bathtub of the palace, if today she fancies a dip."

− "Yes, Dad Nike. I want to have a bath today. - She insistently begged.

− "Tonight you will be here with Grandma and me - said Luke-. We will then have a bath. And your brother too."

− "I know that you will get along very well, grandchildren and grandparents, but - Lucy told the Protch – don’t pamper them too much. My mother often tells me often that I wasn’t very mischievous, but I liked hiding and giving a scare from time to time to Brenda. And I think that Kirsten resembles me."

− "We won't let ourselves panic, right, you little one?" - said Maudie playing with her.

− "If first we had been parents, we would be more trained, but at least nobody has to teach us how to love them - said Herbert. And he also added-. Yesterday I dared finally to visit my cousin Rich and I told him that for two weeks we have had at home a storyteller that he knows very well. He wanted to apologize but I would not allow him. Only I told him that now he could also find him with his family in Deanforest, when he came here."

   And he also wanted James and Rosa to come to this house.

   Lucy returned to the camp with her two children while Luke and Nike, as every Sunday, were in the street. There she found Rosa, who brought her a book that she had promised her, Death of a Salesman, which could be considered a satire on the American dream and all three wanted to read. The bonfire adorned her brown hair, clean and drawn back, as with a ribbon of fire with the remote air of a Caribbean morning twilight, from a continent that was growing between starts but with enough light to illuminate an entire blind city. Rosa shone in her dawn of rebellion. And Luke and Nike then came and saw her like the spark of an engine that never stopped and they sat beside her. And she finally said.

− "James and I have come to an agreement. We will go to my country on holiday to lend a hand and see my family. My brother Jairo has been arrested accused of provoking a riot for which he is not responsible. But we already know that we will stay in Hazington. So you can often bring your children home."

− "We will take them more often to visit you. But they now sleep in Deanforest Palace. In fact I was going there now."- said Luke.

− "Wait, Luke. Your brother is about to arrive. Look - she said pointing towards Millers' Lane- in that van he must come."

   The van was full of what looked like firewood. James left it and introduced his friend Bailey, a professor of history, like Rosa.

− "They were old desks – he said-, and other belongings and furnishings. They were going to be thrown away, but they gave me an idea. I took them home and I turned them into firewood. For Bailey it was better to bring the firewood today and he has done me the favor. With this wood you have for several weeks."

− "James – his brother told him when he stayed alone with him-, I've not done it yet, but I'm going to do it now for the first time: giving you a star. You should have a very brilliant one that has not been given yet: Procyon."

   Procyon, Alpha Canis Minoris, is the star so called because it appears before the dog, Canis Maior, with the bright Sirius. It is so close to Leo that it may be considered, just as James, a faithful dog next to the lions. In his barking he approaches proudly the hunting at the feet of the feline.

   That night at the bonfire, Nike reminded them of what he had spoken with them: to visit the Protch. And it seemed that everybody nodded, but soon Miguel asked to speak alone with him, and both made their way to Menhir Bridge.

− "Nike – he started nervous – some time ago I didn't understand you, and I didn’t understand Luke either. Later we have had some years of calm and you know that I really appreciate you. I don't want to have new misunderstandings with you. But I'm afraid you won't understand me."

− "It is about Deanforest, isn't it?"

− "I won't go, but I want to tell you why."

− "Give me your reasons, Miguel. Whatever they are, I want to be fair with you."

− "Be fair. That it is. If I went now, I wouldn't be fair with John."

− "Tell me about it."

− "When he and I met... well, it is true that I was jealous of his wealth and maybe I badgered him more than necessary. Look, for six months he still kept his house. At the end, he got rid of it. She put it in Anne-Marie’s hands and she sold it a year later. During the time he had it he wanted to convince me to get into it, especially on cold nights. I quite refused. Perhaps we argued a lot, but you know that by then I couldn't believe that John would give up forever all he had and I never understood that he didn’t care; he only had his house for us. Finally, Nike, I wasn’t fair by then with him, but the fact is I never walked into his house. And therefore, I don't want to make him now a new iniquity visiting that which was the property of another fellow mate. I know that it is no longer yours, but anyway I don't think you can understand me."

− "They are good reasons, Miguel. And it is true that it is no longer my home: it is now the home of two good friends. But it is true that it belonged to me. And what you have told me is enough for me."

− "I have no problem in meeting the Protch, but maybe someday in a bar, or if they came here..."

   And Nike could do nothing more, he didn’t even try to convince him. He would have liked the eight to go for the first time together to Deanforest, but he got used to the idea that only seven would go.

   Already in the morning of the 28th, Luke noticed that someone was at the connecting door. It was Maude. He said good morning to her and told her to come in. He explained that Olivia was in the small kitchen of the palace making breakfast for the children.

− "Much better, Luke. I wanted to speak in private with you."- She told him. They were accommodated in comfortable armchairs in a charming living room on the left.

− "Herbert and I have been talking all night. We want to be the new grandparents of the children of our child, as we see Nike now. And I know Lucy and you like the idea. But not without their parents."

− "Not without their parents?"

− "Herbert and I have never had any children. We believed that we did not desire them and we started to try quite late, just to discover that was what we really desired. But they never came. I guess that either of us is sterile, but we've never tested ourselves. We have never had any children, but both of us have felt these days that Nike was as if we had had one. And he has managed to describe you all with so much love that we love you all now and we will always love you. But he has put his heart into speaking to us of his wife and his husband. We have perhaps never had any children to love you now. And in fact, Luke, seeing you all three together, we can notice how each of the three loves the other two. Your love story is singular, but it is shocking nevertheless. I want to tell you that besides loving Paul and Kirsten as our grandchildren, we would like to love Lucy and you as our children."

− "Thank you, Maude. Nike knows how people are and who deserves to be loved. And he is right again. But you want to add something, isn't it?"

− "This house will be soon on behalf of Lucy Prancitt, but I want you to come to Deanforest, to have breakfast with us, and all of us to be a family."

− "Look, Lucy, Nike and I can go through many things for our children, and in addition we really love you. So we can understand that their Protch grandparents give our children sweets, toys, as they can give them things that cost nothing: tales, love, company. All that we find ok as you permit their parents to continue to be beggars..."

− "Of course we will never deny that."

− "And let us be ourselves who seek for what they need. Maude, we can be a family, but to never have any problems, let us all three care for their well-being, although of course we will allow their grandparents to make them gifts. Tonight Lucy will bring you the money we've saved for them these years. I know that you appreciate Olivia. You can agree things with her and buy what is necessary. And that money will last for years and one day we will pay them their education. In summary, fondle them for they are your grandchildren, but not too much. And about us, let us be hungry. Sometimes we are hungry but our goal is not altered by temptations: we want to die here."

− "Surely this conversation, Luke, was necessary. I hope that it does not appear to you now crazy if I tell you that any of the three that has to sleep alone comes later to have breakfast with us in Deanforest."

− "Olivia must be preparing coffee. In any case, Maude, except tonight, although you can invite us to have breakfast, do not do it with lunch or dinner."

 − "You know that we'd like to invite you. And if your hunger becomes extreme we would not forgive ourselves if we didn't notice it and you come then to eat with us, and that is worth for the eight. But meanwhile, we will respect your laws. Come to the dining room, please. Herbert must already have breakfast ready. I will now speak with Olivia, and let the children come with her."

   Paul, Kirsten, Olivia, Luke, Maude and Herbert sat down to breakfast. In their six faces you could notice some shyness, but shortly after, the timidity was small puddles of rain that was enlarged to form a small reservoir. And soon they saw that they would end up being a river. Minuscule waves thrown into the pond were Paul’s interventions claiming to his new grandparents some goodies, sweets or game. Soon they already spoke as if they had been a family for life. Luke said goodbye soon, because he had to go to work. Maude told Olivia that she wanted to talk to her. She nodded and they were alone in the kitchen.

   The two women understood each other very well. Olivia knew more or less what Maude wanted to know and she had brought a kind of agenda.

− "Lucy will take my grandchildren back to our outskirt when it is her turn and I will come to pick them up whenever it is one of my sons-in-law’s turn. Nike returns to work tomorrow. But my daughter and Luke sleep two consecutive days and you will see Nike this evening and tomorrow night. I will come for Paul and Kirsten and he will attend the Thuban. It is easy, but here you have a list with who comes every day. I will speak with the three to convince them to have breakfast with you. And as I know what you're going to say, ok, I will also have breakfast when I come for the children."

   The two women understood each other well and managed to agree on many issues. They would speak as a family, yes, but for the children whatever they wanted within certain limits; nothing for them. Sometimes the rest of her fellow mates could come and visit them, but it would be a short visit. They would accept a cup of coffee but little else. And sometimes a shower; the palace also had a bathroom. Everyone wanted to be friends with the Protch, but wanted to continue living as they had always lived. Maude understood it and prayed Olivia to warn her if she gave them too much or too little.

   Promptly at half past eight in the evening the doorbell rang and the Protch were eager to see them. They were dressed in an elegant but simple way, assuming rightly that they would prefer it. When they opened the door they met the already familiar faces, but they soon fell into the account that there were only seven. Herbert immediately understood that Miguel was missing. He turned to John.

− "You are seven. I hope that nothing has happened to your partner. I guess you’d rather I called you John."

− "Yes, of course, Herbert. It's been a long time since I last came to Deanforest as Mr. Richmonds. Miguel sends you his regards. But I have to say – he seemed annoyed – he has no problem in meeting you somewhere else, but he has his reasons for not wanting to come to Deanforest. However he wants to meet you."

− "You don't have to tell us anything else, John. Give him a big hug from us. And welcome to Deanforest. And please, come visit us frequently. We appreciate all our child Nike’s fellow mates. And we hope that all of you feel at home here."

− "And since we have forgotten the chronological order, which we know, now I will welcome the two people I have not greeted yet. It is a pleasure to receive you in this house, Mistress Oakes. And it is also a real pleasure to finally kiss the woman I remember from years ago, the lady who prophesied to me something impossible to be fulfilled and however has become a reality."

− "Yes, I remember also, Herbert. I myself didn't understand my own words, which usually happen to me, but I memorized your face. Paul and Kirsten already call me great-grandmother and it is a pleasure to embrace their new grandparents."

  She was dressed in an elegant green silk dress, which they had heard Nike mention. Perhaps it was the same. Light color really suited Olivia and she was dressed in an elegant red wool dress. Her daughter was dressed in yellow. It was the only one to whom that colour really suited. The men were dressed more simply. Bruce also came in a cream color, as they remembered him. John was simply dressed, but it seems that with him clothes never frayed. He was clean-shaven and neat. Luke and Nike were as the previous days, in shades of gray and with no sweaters.

− "Welcome again, Bruce – Maude greeted him-. You know this house. And now we would like you to visit us frequently. Olivia - she went on-, today you are gorgeous too. It is a pleasure to welcome you again. I hope you're comfortable here and in our hearts. And so we say to our dear Three. Welcome, Lucy. Welcome, Luke. And another kiss for you, our son and always beloved Nike."

   Once everybody had been welcomed, the seven and the two children sat a while in the dining room, waiting for the Protch to end heating dinner and bring it. All of them cast surreptitious glances at Nike, meanwhile, as if he was still the host. It was so evident that finally he had to say something.

− "This is not my house. In fact it never was. And if you would like me to make you a tour, I would take you to the place I was happier, to the library. But you already have shown me your house and in that home I decided to stay."

   There was no time for much more, because then the Protch came with dinner. Everyone wanted to help, but Nike talked again.

− "Not today. Their simple hearts want to regale us as friends and now we are their guests. Is it not so, Maudie, Herbert?"

− "So it is Nike -said Maudie-. We have served dinner to people we didn’t care about. And we want you to be our friends and feel at home."

   Herbert had consulted dinner with Nike. He wanted to know if they liked meat or fish more. Nike reminded him that a beggar satisfies his hunger with everything and that two different meals would not be necessary, in general they preferred meat. So there was roast beef with salad, fish soup as a starter. And pudding for dessert, two kinds because of the children, chocolate pudding and cream pudding.

   Maudie started the conversation asking them how their cats were.

− "You can see Theseus and Telemachus are already slightly old - replied Mistress Oakes-. We do not know the age of Ted, but he still is agile." 

− "We know them all because of Nike. We would love to see them - followed Maudie-just as we want to know your trees and your stars. I guess that they are not related – she tried to explain herself better-, I mean that your cats will have no star."

− "We have not given them any. Although mentally – Nike confessed nervous-, as our cats are now three, well... I have paired them with the three sisters in Orion's belt. As I do not know if they have a chronological order, by the order in which I have known them Telemachus has Alnitak, Ted has Alnilam and Theseus has Mintaka. “

− "Trees, stars, cats, your river and mainly your fellow mate Miguel. We want to meet everyone and everything - said Herbert. And about the latter, Luke, you have told me a sentence that has shaken me, but Maude does not know it yet. You may want to tell her. That about a dead son of a bitch."

− "Ah – he said, suddenly remembering-. It was thus, Maude. The day of my motif by Verôme, Miguel shook me by asking me what a dead son of a bitch was good for. Imagine, he said, a group of four friends in which one is in favour of the love between two men and three are against it. If one of them dies, they would be two against one. Now imagine, as it was my case, that one of the hostile changes his point of view, and thinks just the opposite. In that case it would be two against two and the number is balanced. I was persuaded and my way of looking at a lot of things changed since then. I agree with his conclusion. Convince is more important that win."

− "Yes - Maude said-, Miguel is also here tonight. Now I would like to ask permission from John or Luke to bring these words to my brother. He will like them."

− "Miguel is here - said John - and he will be glad that his words, which of course do not belong to him, are useful to your brother."

   They had come to the desserts. The nine adults seemed to agree in getting a part each so Paul and Kirsten did not stuff themselves, but they left them half of each pudding. At that time the Protch told some of their time at Siddeley Priory and how they had met and fallen in love, their first year at Deanforest as Nike’s servants. And something they told of their stay in Orléans, and promised to tell them about their return to Hazington and they would also talk about Richard and his family on successive days and thus they would be sure of everybody returning more days.

   The first dinner with the Protch had been warm and sincere and everybody believed they were part of the same family. Paul and Kirsten contributed to this by giving loving kisses to their new grandparents.

   March also began with shock. Maude and Herbert had promised to visit the outskirt the first night. And indeed there they were, late but fulfilling their promise. But something abnormal could be perceived in Maudie’s eyes. She shyly greeted all those who then were – Miguel was not there and they couldn’t meet him that night, and John - but they were soon informed that they wanted to talk alone with Nike.

− "Today I called the hospital. I didn’t hear my brother. It was a doctor who has informed me. Mitch has had another crisis and this time it seems definitive. They say it may be imminent. They give him no more than one month of life. Or maybe much less. So I wanted to see you, Nike. I don't know if you keep your intention to visit him, but it is or now or never."

− "I'd like to see him, but you know well, Maudie, I do not have money for the trip."

− "You know that we can afford it. Look, Nike. You have told us more than once of choosing between two vile acts: whether not going to see him or getting the help of our money, which is largely what is left of the money of the Siddeley. Think that you're still Mr. Siddeley with the feelings of the beggar Nike. You would use a little of that money to go to the hospital. And above all, don't forget that he wants to see you."

− "Okay, Maudie, I compromise. He is your brother and I want to hug him."

   Maude spoke a little longer with Olivia, whom she convinced to be in charge of Deanforest in their absence, as she had agreed with the bricklayers to work in an old office on the ground floor, which would be their new room. Those days Mistress Oakes would go alone to the street and the children could spend much of the day at Deanforest.

  With Nike they agreed on leaving the next day if the President - they were sure of Anne-Marie’s reaction – gave him several days. At the end everything was carried out without problems and they could take a flight to the Capital and soon they were in the hospital. Nike waited in the waiting room for Maudie and Herbert to get out of his room and when he finally entered he found a miserable, almost intangible, but conscious, spectrum that smiled at him. The entire immune system was failing but it was obvious that the heart could fail at the last minute.

- "Hello, Mr. Siddeley" – he greeted him.

− "Only Nike, please. Actually now I'm down in the social scale – he smiled-. Or do you want me to call you Mr. Heath?"

− "Nike, I was eager to meet you, although I'm at the end. But my sister told me what you were telling my brother-in-law and at times I thought that they were inventing a fable. But I liked so much your transition from a millionaire to a beggar that I wanted to know more. And it has made my waiting at the platform for my last trip more bearable, and soon the last train will come. Listen to me, please. My sister doesn't need to be taken care of, but always stay by her side, let her lean on your shoulders. With you she will always have, let me use Luke’s expressions, rain over the furrows. You have to fertilize all who know you."

− "Thank you, Mitch. I will always be by her side, I promise. Let me ask you if you have a partner. "

− "I had, but on the verge of death I do not feel able to talk to you about him."

   They left it there for the moment, but the following day Mitch saw himself with the strength to talk about his husband.

− "His name was Neil. I've been with him ten years. We met at the office in which both worked. I've been extremely happy with him, but this damn disease took him four months ago, just to be me who started with the same symptoms. We should have gone both at the same time. But I've had him and soon we will meet again. Nike, if the meaning of life is to learn, the meaning of death is to forget?"

− "It depends, Mitch. I am not a philosopher, but I can tell you about our beliefs. Christians may be right or Mistress Oakes may be right and we go to the third life, Wisdom. But in any case, if we go to another place, we are loaded with a bag of experiences and learning."

− "And if there is nothing?"

− "Are you a believer, Mitch?"

− "I’m afraid I am not."

− "Perhaps forgetting is necessary, resting from pain, loneliness or hunger. Death is peace, but while you live, what meaning does your existence have for you? For me there are thousands of things to learn. "

− "I have known love and from your most important words also liberty and friendship, but not happiness and beauty, maybe. But there are people who die and have never known love, for example."

− "According to our cosmogony, we had learned love in the first life, Liberty. Now we go through Horror and that experience need not already be lived."

− "I should have met you years ago."

− "Years ago I was an arsehole, Mitch."

− "If it depended on me, I would live a hundred years more. But thank you for coming, Nike. Now I want a short transit. And I can say it out loud: I have lived."

   Mitch did not resist more than two days. In his last minutes he seemed a happy man who comforted Maude and Herbert. Later Nike merged with her in an endless embrace and the three of them were crying the same river.

    Back to Hazington, Nike wanted to spend more than one month next to Maude. And she had Herbert, Olivia and her grandchildren as roses in her garden that in shy sprouts were announced. Returning to the outskirt one evening a strong rain surprised Nike and looking at the clouds, he winked at them saying: "rain over the furrows, Mitch".

   He was constantly next to the Protch and promised to visit them daily for the rest of his life. "And if it is not enough, whistle so I can multiply and Olivia, my wife, my husband and my children will be blankets which will still have their warmth even if years pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment