Wednesday 10 February 2016

CHAPTER VI: THE PRINCE AND THE KING


   The road back was done with a calm mood and still some doubts. John was again driving his orange Volvo, while a drizzle fell on that day of a moribund January. Blessed rain. It had saved his life. He did not know if today it would be sunny, but in his heart there were rays of enamel and still some hesitation. He had suddenly met the man of his life, and it was true that he once again felt alive on the day that he should be dead. Let it rain. Thus the wet streets reminded him that happiness had emerged out of those tears. He could be going crazy, but he was going to his job with intentions to quit it and go to the street. You only live once, he thought, and he had only been happy twice: in Basutoland, with Mthandeni, in harsh conditions, and last night, making love to a beggar.


   He arrived so early after all the doors were still closed, and within two minutes came his beloved Anne-Marie. He convinced her to have a coffee there within walking distance of the Thuban Star, in the Café Blue Day, and she accepted, because she also sensed that something serious had happened to his friend that he wanted to talk about.

─ "Soon everyone will know because today there is Board of Directors and I intend to tell them all. In fact, Anne-Marie, I intend to quit my job. Last night I went out of my house with the intention to commit suicide at Rage Bridge, but in Wrathfall Bridge, I wanted to stop for a second to shelter from the rain, and there I met a beggar. Miguel is his name. We have fallen in love with each other. I know that you're going to understand, Anne-Marie, this at least. But I don't know if you will understand that I'm going to the street with him."

─ "John, let’s see. I'm really glad that you've met a man who loves you, but..."

─ "Are you in love with me?"

─ "Yes, but are you to blame? This feeling will stop one day. But John, can’t you talk to that Miguel and have a normal life? You can go on in your job, and he can find any other job."

   But he did not know what answer to give to her and changed the subject, telling her all the details of their night of love. He knew that Anne-Marie would understand, and she encouraged him to continue, saying that it didn’t hurt her that he spoke about his love for another one, because she knew very well that he did not love her.

   The time of the Board of Directors was close and they went to the interior of the Thuban. There were gathered a few raiders, eager to discuss the pending business, when John surprised everyone by asking to speak.

─ "It is difficult to know how to tell all this, uncle - said he looking at Harold-, as I know that you've never wanted me to talk of this. But I have to do it - and with courage and as if he was saying the most natural thing in the world, he said-: I like men - then he got some shocked looks, except mine, who already knew it, but I was surprised, really. I could not expect that. But John was still talking-. I had a love affair with a Zulu in my native South Africa, but my uncle abruptly turned me away from him. They have been unhappy years I have had to spend here, away from him and dying inside. I was empty when, as you know, came the death of my parents. I felt no desire to live and last night I had the intention of killing myself, jumping from Rage Bridge."

    He was talking about half an hour, telling us all that had happened to him that night, his road to Wrathfall Bridge, the rain, how he went down to that eye of the bridge, and met that beggar and came a night of love between them. Also for the first time, he explained his desire to leave the job and go with him to the street. All that time the others were looking at him surprised and with a reprimanding face. Anne-Marie cried, noticing that his friend could go crazy and her sincere tears evidenced how much she loved him, and at that moment, affection was more important for her than love. I looked at him, according to my own memories, scandalized, because he seemed to be proud of what he was saying, and I could not understand then that satisfaction and that he wanted to quit his job. I could not see it, but his words of that morning of January 26 were an apprenticeship for what I would also do one day.

─ "I guess that you are satisfied with what you just have told, African - and also his Uncle Harold called him so once disparagingly-. It seems that it is impossible to straighten you."

─ "There are things that can’t be straightened because they are one’s nature. I am already of legal age, uncle, and you can’t continue ruling my life. But I don't want to use harsh words with you because I want to end my contract with the company amicably."

─ "You have still a two-year contract and I don't know what makes you think that I will be willing to let you go. I could take legal action against you. And in addition we have no one to replace you."

─ "My part could meanwhile be for Nike – he looked at me then-. And we are going to reach a friendly agreement, because if we don’t... uncle, would you like it to be known that one Blessing is matched with another man, also a beggar? Apart from all of you, who already know it, I would tell all your friends. So uncle, please, terminate my contract and everything ok. I won’t claim the salary that corresponds to me for a job which I will no longer do."

─ "You win. Today you can go away because you already do not work here, and I hope you know what you're doing with your life. But tomorrow you have to come back, go up to my office and terminate the contract. The son of my sister Nora disappointed me. You can go, John, but you know: If you want an amicable settlement, tomorrow you have to return. Now go with that beggar. What a life you have chosen, but when you repent, don’t come back here crying, begging to return. You'd not be admitted."

    There concluded that extraordinary allegation before the raiders. I saw him leave next to Anne-Marie, who showed him her full support, and I was thinking, somehow absent in the rest of the Board of Directors, which followed for half an hour more, already without John, and thinking hopefully that if now perhaps they gave me John’s former job, one day I could inherit all that and preside it.

  He was a while chatting with his beloved Anne-Marie, and she suggested that they continued seeing each other, however John lived, for he remembered the address of her flat, and if he finally did that crazy thing, she said, of becoming a beggar, she would go also to Wrathfall Bridge to know his partner. Although I didn't know it, Anne-Marie and John always followed in contact.

   John then took the way back to Wrathfall Bridge, which at the moment was his new home. He longed to see the man of his life, but he only met a woman of about 70, who spoke to him.

─ "You're John, isn't it?"

─ "Yes, and you must be Mistress Oakes, Miguel’s fellow mate. Isn't it?"

─ "Miguel is begging, but he will return soon. He said you had told him that your workday ended at 2 o'clock, and he will surely return on that time. John - and she began to speak unto him with great tenderness-, I do not know if you will like this life, but if you wanna stay here, be welcome. It is true that none of us could imagine Miguel in love with a man, but this morning he gathered everyone and told us what happened last night. You could see in his face that he is in love with you, and has left us all taken aback. I hope that you understand our surprise. Now you must decide what you want to do. You can see him every day a few hours and not have to stay here. Anyway, if you prefer this life, I will not deceive you, it is hard but the five of us live it happily"

─ This morning I noticed in his eyes that he doubted that I chose it. But he told me that there are humans who choose this life, and I would live with him even in hell. But tell me the truth, Mistress Oakes, what will you all think of me?"

─ "Everybody calls me Mistress Oakes and although my name is Madeleine, just my girl Olivia calls me like that. Call me as you like, especially if we end up being mates. But please, address me informally. As for the other three, look, for Lucy it can be even a relief that now Miguel does not love her. And my girl might take a little more time, but do not fear her. She will know how to accept you, because long ago she got used to the idea that Miguel does not love her anymore, and she will certainly love you and respect you. Do not fear her."

─ "And what about Bruce? I know there is another man. And I'm afraid of his reaction."

─ "Bruce is an amazing man and I will not tell you why, perhaps he himself or Miguel tells you about it, but for him it will be a relief that now Miguel is in love with you. If when you know this, you want to stay with us, I assure you that you would be received with open arms. Welcome, John, for all the time you want to stay."

    And there they stopped the conversation, because another woman then went down the ravine. By the age, it seemed Lucy, Miguel’s latest love. She was quite beautiful, but rather than feeling jealous with her, he felt the urgent desire to talk by her side. That was the day that John really decided to stay on the street, as he was getting to know all of them and seeing that with them he would have the affection and respect he had never known before.

   Upon descending the steep and dangerous hill, Lucy approached John to talk to him.

─ "You must be John, isn't it?"

─ "Yes, and you must be Lucy."

─ "How about a walk?"

    They were walking around the vicinity of the bridge and even crossed to the other side. They were actually fifteen eyes, and it also had other three dry eyes in the eastern part. All that landscape was idyllic and John watched it already wanting to stay there forever.

─ "You should not fear me. Miguel told us this morning many things, and though he didn’t mention it, I suspect that he spoke of his love for me. Look, John, I have always known and I felt bad for not reciprocating him, but I've always appreciated him so much and I am glad of the happiness that now he has. From what I read in his eyes this morning, he will cry when he sees you again. You can see that he loves you dearly and here no one will oppose your love, I really tell you. It is a long time since we are five and there has never been a couple among us. Now there may be one. And don't be afraid of my mother. She will understand you and you’ll love her really."

─ "So far it is a pleasure to meet you, Lucy. And if your mother is like you she must be a remarkable woman. I would feel sorry to hurt her. Holy heaven. This morning I met Mistress Oakes and now you. How should I be afraid of this life with all of you? At this time I should not exist, and however, this January 26th will be the happiest day of my life."

─ "In our hearts you'll always be, John, even if one day you decide to leave. Miguel told us that you were very sweet. I only say that if you want to stay here, it would be a pleasure being your mate. And remember, don't be jealous. Miguel does no longer love me. Come on, let's go back."

   John returned with a different face, with a heart full of emotions but Miguel had not come back yet. But he did contemplate the face of another quite filthy beggar who smiled at him. Come into his presence, he shook hands with him and spoke to him.

─ "How would you like another walk? Further south is Knights Bridge. We could approach it and come back. By the way, I have not introduced myself. My name is Bruce."

─"I had already guessed” - and he smiled at him with some fear. He was not accustomed to having respect of men, and feared this conversation.

─ "John - he began to say, already on the way to Knights Bridge - before any other thing you must understand our surprise. None could expect it of Miguel."

─ "That is true, but really, Bruce, tell me what you think of it or you think of me or of the two together."

─ "Is a pleasure for me to see that a couple has begun in Wrathfall Bridge. I don't mind that it is of two men. And one does not always have the same impression when you know someone. But you look like a person that can be trusted, and if you stay here, it will be a pleasure to talk to you - and then he saw him cry and hugged him-. Look, I don't know if Miguel has told you that I am also in love with Olivia. Yes, it is true, although I have never told her. When your partner arrived the two of us were jealous of each other, but not after a couple of months because we saw that we were not rivals, and we were becoming friends. Believe me that I really want his happiness. And now I want yours also. I will always support you."

─ "Thanks, Bruce.” - He said really moved. Holy heaven. Only his friend Anne-Marie had understood him. Never a man. And this unknown beggar gave him his friendship and trust. He still had to meet Olivia, who that day, Mistress. Oakes had told him, begged alone because she needed to meditate. But he already knew three of Miguel’s fellow mates, or his own fellow mates, he thought. Because if today he successfully went to the street and successfully talked to Olivia, he would no longer have more doubts: he would stay here. He liked Knights Bridge, and much more to see it beside the gentleman, Bruce, and he already wanted to be his friend forever.

   Returning to Wrathfall Bridge he finally found the big surprise awaiting him. There was Miguel and he cried from happiness at seeing him. He approached John and kissed him in the mouth with strength without none of the present, he could feel it, feeling something else than happiness to see them so happy.

─ "Forgive me, John. I didn't really expect you back. I've been unfair to you. But look, I've been begging all morning and I've had a good day. You don't have to come with me tonight or any."

─ "Miguel, while you were away I have met three of your fellow mates and I have liked them so much that I want them also to be my fellow mates. I have to meet only Olivia now, but meanwhile I will live like you and like them. I have made up my mind. Let's go to the streets."

─ Well, then, let’s go, John, but I hope that the experience is not bitter."

    He led him then to St Mary and John thought that he could resist it, and live like this the rest of his life. He felt no shame, but it is true that on his first day on the street he found something unexpected, including that which we have as the sixth negative sign. I will later speak to you about it, Protch. He was attacked strongly by it, but he resisted. Miguel sounded him about it carefully seeing the happiness of the night before was still in him and he had not lost it, but doubting that he wasn’t still tempted by wealth. He came to talk to him about this on occasions and so many doubts John saw in him that he finally said.

─ "Miguel, I do not want anything of what I used to have. I've started to live today and am not so crazy to want to lose all that can await me still by your side. But so that you are more relaxed, tomorrow you are coming to the Thuban with me, and while I am in the office of my uncle, you will wait for me at the bar. And I swear that I will not have problems in introducing you to anyone who does not know you, or even kiss you there."

    Still with some doubts, Miguel retained them until John left work, money, house and car, they returned to Wrathfall Bridge, which was already his home. There was a woman who looked so alike Lucy that she could only be Olivia. Indeed, as such he greeted her, and he guessed right.

─ “Do you fancy another walk to Knights Bridge?"

─ "I do"

─ "I have been all day begging and meditating. This morning I cried when Miguel told us that he had fallen in love with you. Throughout the day I wanted to reach an agreement with myself and love you, although I did not know you. Look, John, the love that has arisen may be hard for me, but not harder than these years have been. I fell in love with Miguel when he was not even on the street. I still love him and it is possible that I always will. But it could not be because he soon fell in love with my daughter. Lucy is the most important thing in my life and I didn't have any jealousy of her. But I saw that she didn't love him and suffered for both: for Miguel and for Lucy. Now I know that my daughter will find one day the love of her life. And Miguel is happy with someone, however hard it is for me. Finally he has found in another what my daughter could not give him. And I see that you are a great man and I have no objection, sure that none of my fellow mates have, that you are two men. Please give me a few weeks. These days I will not talk much to you, but I will not talk to almost anyone, except to my mistress."

─ "You are wonderful, Olivia. I really have to make efforts to not cry, because all of you are. I don't want to break your heart. I just want you to see in me a new mate, who also loves you already. Take the time you need to meditate on what you want. Only I repeat I love you already and now that I know you all I have no more doubts: I will stay here. Thank you, Olivia".

   The next morning they were together begging until 11, and John knew then that his partner was the last in getting up and after that day, they would be together in the street at noon or later. But at 11, John had appointed to meet his uncle in his office and a little earlier they went to Avalon Road. They went walking and not by car because John left his Volvo definitely parked in Wall Street, in case one day they could need it. But he did not use it. Then he climbed the stairs to talk to his uncle as Miguel waited at the bar.

   Of the scene between uncle and nephew I will also tell you something, because John has mentioned it to me. He had to sign a few documents, but his contract was terminated in a short time. But Harold Blessing had some sharp words to say.

─ "I do not think that you are of the Blessing blood. It will be a pleasure for me that you no longer work here."

─ "For me it will also be a pleasure to not see you anymore, uncle - he said-. Because of you, I have spent the bitterest years of my life. But now, and I say this with conviction, I am on my way to happiness, with Miguel and our fellow mates..."

─ "Goodbye, John."

─ "Goodbye, uncle."

    It seemed not easy they would meet again. But John was just worried about reuniting with Miguel at the bar.

   There was also Anne-Marie. And John immediately introduced Miguel to her. They didn’t like each other, that I can assure you; because the only important thing for Anne-Marie was that they would not find a job and live like a respectable couple. That John went to the street seemed crazy and she sensed that beside Miguel he would never go away from there. They spoke then with some reservation, but they talked.

    Within minutes there entered the moron of Nicholas Martin Siddeley, and let me be hard with myself, Protch, to tell you the most shameful episode of my life. At the bar was Richard, who was witness of what happened. I at present was ignorant of almost everything about myself and to see them there together, hand in hand, I was unpleasantly impressed. Still today I don't know if it bothered me also that they were two beggars, and if I insulted them for that in addition. Later my storyteller would say that I did not insult them for that, and I don't remember sincerely that I said harsh words to them for beggars. John saw me and immediately, although our relationship was almost non-existent in those days, introduced him to me.

─ "Hi, Nike. I introduce you to Miguel, my partner."

─ "I hope you know what you're doing with your life, John." - I said coldly.

─ "Yes, I am sorry that you do not understand, Nike. But Miguel gives me the light that I need in my blind darkness. He is a fire in the heart."

   Now I do know, but didn't know it then, why those words had bothered me so much. In me another fire was spreading and I insulted him.

─ "African, you faggot, go to hell."

   Miguel and John then went without marked contempt for me. But I... how to tell you? I am afraid from that morning I started to die. At least to poison myself. I started to become an alcoholic after that day. That 27 January I started to kill myself. I ordered a second whisky and drank it noticing that Richard had a clear grimace of disgust in his eyes. I started to hate myself.

   They had been the two together there a month when one day in February, and while Mistress Oakes and Olivia were visiting Basin Hall, died Estella Oakes. She had lived 90 years, but had been dead in life for many years. Her daughter wept for her hard but was also glad that the dancer had now ended her bitter dance, to begin another dance, of that she was sure, in the third room, in another life.

   The Seductress Outskirt began to also be an unsafe place for beggars, and the six were robbed to get their few profits of every day. That situation was unsustainable. They all liked the surroundings of Wrathfall Bridge, but one day discussed what they could do really. They all felt that this was the first expulsion. It would have been nice to return to Umbra Terrae Boulevard. None of the three men knew it. But the place was already packed with beggars and they would have no privacy. But perhaps they would, Mistress Oakes suggested, in Knights Hill. There they would be too much at sight, but it would be temporary, until they found another better place. They went on March 3 and on the hill they were until December 15. Nine months of which I will also have something to tell you.

    But wherever it was Miguel and John continued together, happy every day despite their numerous arguments, as they have always been a couple extremely jealous, and if they remembered the imbecile of Nike, now I know that they were more saddened than angry. But everything was different for this moron that talks to you, who was poisoning without possibility of redemption. I was drunk daily, even at work, and almost got entirely rotten, allowing my useless wood to get completely moth-eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment