Wednesday 10 February 2016

CHAPTER XXV: THOU SHALT KNOW US


   Led by a thousand demons, tense members and his face a clear mirror of deception, Miguel withdrew to meditate and perhaps to curse me. But Luke did not let him walk more than a hundred metres.

− "Miguel –he shouted at him−, come back. I have not finished. What I have to tell is quite long, and I am sure that you will be interested."

   Still hesitating, but more serene because of John’s gaze, who had been sitting but who doubted whether to stand up for him, Miguel turned around and with a look of total mistrust, returned to take his place. Luke swallowed and watching the sweet gaze of his wife, was encouraged to continue.


− "I was doing you all a question. I was on this: what would ninety-five out of a hundred have done, faced to the ambition of his life and before a beggar as dirty as I was? So that it is not necessary that anybody gives an answer, I will say that I do not know how would have reacted ninety-five out of a hundred, but what was it that finally Nike decided to do? −and after a tense pause, and with a vivid look of enthusiasm−: exactly what he did. After a few seconds of genuine confusion −he believed that much was at stake on how he would react−, he crossed the short space that separated us, leaving his boss speechless and momentarily forgotten, far behind, and arrived to me, and with no time yet to speak any words, he gave me the strongest embrace I have ever been given. For 10 seconds we were only able to cry and show our mutual happiness thus by the reunion. "

− "Luke –he started to stutter in warm tears− what a joy to see you –and I could notice in him so much happiness for having found me again that he began to question me showing that he had not forgotten anything or anyone and that he wanted to be updated in the information of the people who he really loved−, I see you well, but how are you? How is your wife? And your son, your little king? –here he could no more and started to cry and already completely poured, he continued− and what about your fellow mates? Your outskirt, your river, trees, cats...? Oh, my God. So many questions I would ask and don’t allow you to answer me."

− "Let’s see if I am able to answer in order: I'm fine; Lucy is perfectly and both of us speak of you often, and the love we have is every day more steadfast; our little king is growing healthy and strong, he still cannot speak but he begins to make sounds, mostly crying, in that he is really skilled; our fellow mates are all well, robust, healthy and happy; I could not refer they had had even a simple cold. And how is my friend Nike?"

− "What a friend I am. But, let’s not speak about that. Luke... –he hesitated. But he was very certain which way to follow−, in the time that I spent with you I heard about your codes, even if I do not know them. But some things I believe to have learned: I cannot give you alms, can I? I don’t intend to but..."

− "We do not accept alms of anyone we love, and much less of friends, and such we consider you."

− "But something more I think I understood from a few words that Mistress Oakes told me: I really could, if I am not mistaken, invite you to eat. Then... you see, Luke, my companion and I were going to eat in The Silversmith. If I now invited you to dine with us, would you accept?"

   But then there came his boss to where we were, watching the scene naturally, without any sign of disgust. Nike should have spoken of us on any occasion. With parsimony, he stood behind Nike, waiting for him to introduce us. And when Nike realized, he did not hesitate a single second. Looking at us with a smile quite of fire, he got that we shook hands, and said:

− "Mr. Weissmann, this is my friend Luke Prancitt –he had hesitated before about whether he should or should not call me the warm my friend I had addressed him. He did not believe that he deserved it. But it couldn't be otherwise: the greatness of a man such as Nike is seen in moments like that, when he is forced to make a decision in a few seconds, and finally has the pride of loving those he loves and his face is suddenly transformed into a stream of authentic happiness. Only a man such as Nike would have said my friend Luke at a time like that. And I can only feel the same pride to consider myself his friend-. Luke, this is my boss, Samuel Weissmann."

   Smiling through all his suns at the same time that he was washed down in an emotional and solemn crying, with complete certainty about what he wanted to do in this crossroads of fate, not minding at all what would be Mr. Weissmann’s reaction, he encouraged us to shake hands with confidence.

   But I did not believe that Mr. Weissmann inhabits the heart of a raider and due to his undoubted human material, or to see Nike’s smile perhaps, he did not have the usual reaction, which you know, after being introduced to a beggar.

− "Nice to meet you, Mr. Prancitt –he said cheerful. He had retained my name perfectly−. I can guess since when you and Nicholas have known each other. How are you?"

− Perfectly, Mr. Weissmann –I had to show him that I had also retained his surname without difficulty−. And you?"

   After exchanging a few more words that I don’t remember, Nike approached him.

− "I was telling my friend Luke that we wanted to get into this restaurant and I asked him if he would like to eat with us. You wouldn’t mind, would you, Mr. Weissmann?"

− "It would be a real pleasure to eat one day with you and Mr. Prancitt." –and I firmly believe that he meant it without any hypocrisy.

− "Luke -interrupted Miguel−, no offense, but sometimes you look somewhat naive."

− "Perhaps, Miguel. Or we might see things in a different way. But Mr. Weissmann continued."

− "However, in these last few minutes I think I have witnessed the reunion of two old friends. Surely you have many things to talk about. I think, Nicholas, in any case I would not have had an answer this afternoon to what you already know. And sincerely I say I'd like to one day sit to eat all three together. But now I will leave you alone, so that you can eat and talk of everything without the presence of a stranger. See you tomorrow, Nicholas. Perhaps the afternoon or the evening illuminate you. Remember that you are very necessary for us."

  Mr. Weissmann left and I stayed with Nike, both with two genuine smiles of summer, in early October.

− "A nice guy Mr. Weissmann −I told Nike−.  I think that he has much more than what you can see. And I think that he is a sincere man. And warm."

− "Perhaps you're right. I do not know him very well. But Luke... you haven’t answered. Do you accept my invitation to eat?"

− "Nike... I don't know if you're aware of what you have just done. A few minutes ago I would have answered I accept because I ardently wished to talk with my friend. But you have just shown me that friendship can be a source, a calm river, an ocean of greatness. Of course I accept your invitation. I will always say yes to those moments that life gives you to socialize with your best friends. Let’s go to eat. Here, in The Silversmith, isn't it?"

− "They say that here they serve you the best lamb of the city −he explained to me without any flaunt−.  I remember one night in August in which you were roasting one for dinner. But I also remember that I did not taste it. Well, it is time to get even. But it may not have a better taste than any meat in your bonfires, with all of you, on a starry night."

− "Certainly not.  I also think so: always twins. What a pleasure to see you, my brother."

   We seemed rather than brothers, spirits of the night which, flying over a bonfire, want to get warm together and go across it timidly to gradually become the same spark burning; and they collide and produce energy and perhaps learn to emit fire. On that I thought, sitting next to Nike at a table far from the bustle of the world, ready to be predators, birds of prey that tenderly devour each other with fed memories and night feelings, fearful only that the light of dawn breaks by dissolving the bones that hold our passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment